EMDR Muskegon, MI
Professional EMDR Therapy in Muskegon, MI
Are you struggling with your mental health? Have you tried multiple types of therapy, but none have proved effective for you? If so, EMDR might be the right treatment for your condition. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing, or EMDR, is a psychotherapy approach that was developed in the 1980s. At Unity Counseling in Muskegon, Michigan, we have many certified mental health professionals who are experienced in eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy.
What Conditions Can EMDR Treat?
EMDR was developed to treat individuals who have experienced trauma or have symptoms related to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). However, EMDR can be an effective form of therapy for many other conditions as well, including:
- Complicated Grief
- Dissociative Orders
- Disturbing Memories
- Pain Disorders
- Performance Anxiety
- Stress Reduction
- Sexual and/or Physical Abuse
- Body Dysmorphic Disorders
- Personality Disorders
How Does EMDR Work?
Below is a brief overview of EMDR techniques, processes, steps, and more:
- Bilateral Stimulation − EMDR involves the use of bilateral stimulation, which can be in the form of rapid eye movements, taps, or auditory tones. This bilateral stimulation is believed to help the brain process distressing memories and emotions more effectively.
- Phases of Treatment − EMDR typically consists of eight phases of treatment. These phases include history-taking, treatment planning, assessment, desensitization (processing of memories), installation of positive beliefs, and more.
- Processing Traumatic Memories − During the desensitization phase, the therapist helps the patient revisit traumatic memories while simultaneously engaging in bilateral stimulation. The goal is to help the individual process these memories and reduce their emotional charge.
- Cognitive Restructuring − EMDR also involves the identification and installation of positive beliefs to replace negative ones that may have developed as a result of the trauma.
It’s important to note that while EMDR has been helpful for many people, not everyone responds to it in the same way, and the effectiveness of the therapy can vary from person to person. Our team at Unity Counseling is here to help you find the best treatment options for your condition.
Learn More About EMDR
If you are interested in learning more about if EMDR is right for you, please contact us at Unity Counseling today. We are happy to be a trusted source for therapy and counseling services throughout the Muskegon area.